Friday, October 12, 2012

Transportation Week

It's been several weeks, but I finally jumped back into "themes" to keep me on track at home with my lil guy. If you're just catching up or new to my site, basically I like to come up with a new Theme of the Week to keep me and the kiddos inspired for book reading, discussions and craft times.  Now that my daughter is attending Kindergarten, I took on a couple kiddos to watch during the day on a part time basis. This not only helps to fund my crafting addictions, it gives my youngest son some friends to play with while at home. Themes help me to stay on task!!

So, when I can, I will post some of the stuff we do around here. First up, Transportation Week! (This was actually done the week of Oct 1st - I'm trying to catch up!)

Our library is a GREAT resource and I use them weekly to help me out. They have these "Kits for Kids" that you can checkout for up to two weeks at a time and they usually include 4-5 books, a coordinating movie, a toy of some sort to match and an Activity Sheet that includes various songs or finger games to play that also coordinate with the theme. I picked Transportation for this one. See:


An example of something on the Activity Sheet is "Hurry, Hurry Drive the Fire Truck" to the tune of 10 Little Indians-

Hurry, hurry drive the fire truck, (hands on steering wheel)
Hurry, hurry drive the fire truck
Hurry, hurry drive the fire truck

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding! (Shake hand like ringing a bell)

Hurry, hurry, turn the corner (lean to the right)
Hurry, hurry, turn the corner (lean to the left)
Hurry, hurry, turn the corner (lean to both the left & the right)
Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding! (Shake hand like ringing a bell)

Hurry, hurry, climb the ladder (pretend to climb a ladder)
Hurry, hurry, climb the ladder
Hurry, hurry, climb the ladder
Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding! (Shake hand like ringing a bell)

Wasn't that so cute? That was my sons favorite of the week.

CRAFT TIME!! We made stop lights first! I saw this idea on Pinterest but unfortunately didn't repin the idea so I cannot give proper credit. Using cheap construction paper, a circle cutter and crayons:


I used the circle cutter as a template only and traced the inside with the color coordinating crayon

I tore small pieces of the construction paper and put it in the middle of the table. The kids were to try and match the paper to the correct colored circle.



Ta-dah!! This is now taped on the front of my sons door :)


Second craft of the week was painting wooden cars or trains using Crayola's Washable Paint Markers (I LOVE these!):





Next up we made construction paper trucks using basic shapes. I got the idea from Brilliant Beginnings Preschool Blog. I pre-cut the shapes and then handed over the glue sticks and a sample picture. I let the kids glue them how they wanted them! So adorable they are!!

This was the precut layout and how I put them down in front of the kids

Hard at work!

All done!

This was lil baby A's final work

And this one was lil baby R's final work - complete with slobber LOL


We finished out the week with a stroll through our neighborhood looking for street signs. The kids pointed out the ones they saw and even included a fire hydrant :)


Of course we did other things like play with our train sets, I made sure that the toys I had out for circle time were cars or trucks or something related. It was a busy week of kids that week but we had a great time and hopefully they learned a thing or two!

Have you done something similar? Please, leave a comment! Thanks for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment